Friday, August 04, 2006

What's so interesting about birds? continued

The most unusual bird nest we have had this year was the cardinal. She built a nest in the climbing rose bush on my porch I guess we did not have a house she liked. She laid one egg and knocked it out of the nest and it broke. Then she laid another egg and knocked IT out of the nest but this time it didn't break and Mom put it back. She finally had three eggs. Here is a picture of the nest.


The mother bird would sit on the nest everyday all day and even got brave enough to stay in the nest and let Mom take her picture.

Then one day one of the eggs hatched.

Mom and Dad were excited because Mom could put her digital camera right over the nest and take pictures and then look at the camera and see what was in the nest. They were waiting for the other babies to hatch when one day they went out to go to work and the nest was all messed up. There were no babies, no feathers, no egg shells .... nothing ... on the ground or anywhere. The couldn't figure out what happened but they guessed an owl or something might have come and gotten the baby and the eggs. I don't want to blame it on a cat because I have three cats that are friends of mine. The mother was fine. Mom saw her later. But she didn't come build a nest there again. That's my cardinal story. The End.

5 comments:

Charlie Kelley-Church said...

Well, if you lived in New Mexico, I would have said a road runner did it. They like to climb trees (they don't fly very well) and eat other birds eggs and young. It is the state bird but I think they should have picked a bird less violent.

We had a robin's nest in our mullberry tree. Worf, one of my kitty sibs, tried to get to the tree but anytime he even went outside, the robins dive bombed him and tried to peck him. After while he decided it just wasn't worth it. I don't know what happened to them but they are gone.

JustMeCopper said...

Charlie Kelley-Church I forgot to mention it wasn't ME than messed up the cardinal nest. Dachshunds are short and I coudln't reach it.

Roxie, Sammy, Andy and Shermie said...

Copper,

We knew you didn't do it because dachsies are perfect and never do anything wrong or bad. Dachsies are adorable all the time. And we, oops, we mean DACHSIES only bark when people need to be barked at!

Roxie, Sammy & Andy

Isabella said...

Poor baby bird. I don't want to know what happened to, probably better off not knowing. Let's just believe the mother took them out for ice cream and while they getting ice cream, mommy bird saw daddy bird messing around with young shapely bird. So mommy and the baby moved out of the family nest and into an apartment some where else. It could've happened that way, dontcha think?

How come baths make you itch? Maybe you need a different kind of shampoo or, rinsed more to make sure all the shampoo is out. My human is an old groomer and she said if all the shampoo isn't rinsed out real well it can make dogs itch. Or maybe your skin is dry and you need a conditioner put on after your shampoo. Or maybe you just plain don't like baths! Hee Hee
Big Wags,
Isabella

JustMeCopper said...

Isabella, I don't minds baths that much but I don't like them as much as Hershey. My Mommy and my Vet say I have dry skin and my Vet gave me this yummy oil to put on my food and it seems to help. Plus my vet thinks I might have allergies ... like to grass! And since dachshies are so low to the ground ... yikes! Mommy uses a shampoo for ithcy and rinces it out well, but maybe I need lavender cocconut shampoo! Then would at least smell good. I bet you smell wonderful. Then maybe I just love to scratch.